Viewing 1 reply thread
  • waitejd
    June 19, 2019 at 2:12 PM #6503

I am pleased to announce that I will be running the PCC Tour de France Pool again for 2019! Please note that there is a change to the scoring system for 2019’s pool. Read on for details. This pool is open to PCC members only.

I’ve given a lot of thought to this pool since I took it over a few years ago. In that time I’ve noticed two deficiencies in the scoring system:

1) The winner of the pool is almost always the person who was lucky enough to pick the rider who wore the yellow jersey the most (not necessarily the winner of the yellow jersey), as well as any number of the other jersey wearers. This gave jersey wearers an unfair weighting in the scoring system. In previous pools, a rider could wear the yellow jersey for the majority of the race and rack up lots of points. Meanwhile, a lot of GC contenders bide their time until late in the race to make a move. By this point, even if they took over the yellow jersey, the damage would already be done because pool participants would not have enough time to make up the points deficit.

2) I’ve also noticed in previous iterations of the pool that a lot of times people will get the same score on a stage because they have picked similar riders. So whole groups of people would move up or down the rankings in lockstep. Not very exciting.

I have decided to revise the scoring system to try to neutralize these outcomes. The focus will shift from awarding consistent jersey wearers to stage victors and the top 5 in contention for a jersey. What this means is that, for example, if you pick someone who you think will wear the polka dot jersey but they are second or third in the competition, you will still get points and be able to manage the gap between someone who may have picked the current polka dot jersey wearer. That should keep things a little more competitive and prevent runaway winners.

I’ve back-tested the scoring on a few stages and I think it will hold up okay. Time will tell. All you need to worry about is picking the best group of riders that you can. I’ll give you a hint; you want to pick a well-rounded group of riders. I’ll leave it to you to interpret what that means. The exact scoring system is below.

You can submit your picks via this form: https://forms.gle/VM5HPYM738e6XKVK8
    Make sure you get your picks in before July 6th and enjoy the race!

THE RULES
    ENTRIES
    You must include the following:

10 riders
    1 alternate rider (in case one of your ten does not start)
    1 team
    Your guess of the total number of finishers

Only one entry per individual please.

ENTRY DEADLINES
    You may enter at any time before the final day of the Tour, but once the Tour has started you may not pick a rider who has earned any points.

Participants will be awarded points based on the performance of their riders and team in each stage and in the final overall standings (see points scales below).

FINAL STANDINGS
    The winner of the Pool is the participant who scores the most points.

In the event of a tie, best GC rider decides, followed by number of stage wins, number of second places etc.

In the event that two participants pick identical riders and team, the tie breaker will be the participant whose guess is closest to the total number of finishers.

Tour Pool results will be considered “official” one week to the hour after the finish of the final stage, and distribution of prizes and kudos will begin. Any subsequent disqualifications will not affect the Pool result.

POOL POINT SCALES
    PER STAGE:
    Stage – 1st = 150
    Stage – 2nd = 120
    Stage – 3rd = 100
    Stage – 4th = 90
    Stage – 5th = 80
    Stage – 6th = 70
    Stage – 7th = 60
    Stage – 8th = 50
    Stage – 9th = 40
    Stage – 10th = 30
    Stage – 11th = 25
    Stage – 12th = 20
    Stage – 13th = 15
    Stage – 14th = 10
    Stage – 15th = 5

GC – 1st = 40
    GC – 2nd = 30
    GC – 3rd = 20
    GC – 4th = 10
    GC – 5th = 5

Green – 1st = 25
    Green – 2nd = 20
    Green – 3rd = 15
    Green – 4th = 10
    Green – 5th = 5

Polka Dot – 1st = 25
    Polka Dot – 2nd = 20
    Polka Dot – 3rd = 15
    Polka Dot – 4th = 10
    Polka Dot – 5th = 5

White – 1st = 25
    White – 2nd = 20
    White – 3rd = 15
    White – 4th = 10
    White – 5th = 5

Team – 1st = 25
    Team – 2nd = 20
    Team – 3rd = 15
    Team – 4th = 10
    Team – 5th = 5

Combative = 50

Abandon = -50
    Positive Rider = -100
    Positive Team = -50

FINAL STANDINGS:
    GC – 1st = 300
    GC – 2nd = 250
    GC – 3rd = 225
    GC – 4th = 200
    GC – 5th = 180
    GC – 6th = 150
    GC – 7th = 140
    GC – 8th = 130
    GC – 9th = 120
    GC – 10th = 110
    GC – 11th = 100
    GC – 12th = 90
    GC – 13th = 80
    GC – 14th = 70
    GC – 15th = 60
    GC – 16th = 50
    GC – 17th = 45
    GC – 18th = 40
    GC – 19th = 35
    GC – 20th = 30
    GC – 21th = 25
    GC – 22th = 20
    GC – 23th = 15
    GC – 24th = 10
    GC – 25th = 5

Green – 1st = 50
    Green – 2nd = 40
    Green – 3rd = 30
    Green – 4th = 20
    Green – 5th = 10

Polka Dot – 1st = 50
    Polka Dot – 2nd = 40
    Polka Dot – 3rd = 30
    Polka Dot – 4th = 20
    Polka Dot – 5th = 10

White – 1st = 50
    White – 2nd = 40
    White – 3rd = 30
    White – 4th = 20
    White – 5th = 10

Team – 1st = 50
    Team – 2nd = 40
    Team – 3rd = 30
    Team – 4th = 20
    Team – 5th = 10

Super Combative = 100

Results will be posted on the Pool Standings forum and emailed to those who are participating.

Merci et bonne chance!

katyshufelt
    July 5, 2019 at 9:44 PM #6553

Hi Jeff
    Thanks for doing all of this work again in 2019! Reese and I both submitted a team last night (separate emails) but the confirm screen didn’t come up on one of them. Just making sure our picks went in 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.